My New Year’s Resolutions:
- Wake up at 5:45 am to get to the gym at 6, exercise for an hour, and get home by 7 to get to work at 8. It’s ambitious of me to wake up that early, but I am thinking of signing up for the BYU aerobics classes program so not only will I have a fun workout to look forward to, but I will also feel guilty if I pay money for the classes and don’t use them. And guilt is a darn good motivator.
- Get back into reading. I used to be such an avid reader, but over the last few years, the volume of reading I have to do for school sucked the joy (and time to read) out of reading. I am determined to make time for reading for pleasure. I’m going to start out with some relatively light reading: The Story of My Life by Helen Keller, The Silence of God by Gale Sears, In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam by Robert McNamara, and reread all the Narnia books by CS Lewis.
- Learn to have productive down-time. I usually spend my free time watching Netflix or napping, but I want to use that time to do things I love and get better at things I want to love. I’ll paint, cook, read, draw, sew, go biking and hiking, and write!
- Love people unconditionally. Stop judging them and getting frustrated at their imperfections. This includes myself. Be more willing to help and listen and support with my whole heart.
- Save money. Dumples, Mama, and Papa are going to Guatemala this summer to visit Dumples’s mission. I desperately want to go with them, but it will take some effort to get the money. I don’t have a ton of disposable income after rent, food, and school expenses, but I think if I grocery shop smarter, and stop using my extra money for dumb things, I can do it.
- Work harder in school. Do more than the bare minimum. Do most of the reading. Study.
- Go to the temple weekly. This has always been my goal, but in reality, I probably only go once or twice a month. Also, visit as many temples in Utah as I can. I’ve been meaning to go to Bountiful, Salt Lake, Draper, Oquirrh Mountain, and Jordan River. Hopefully, I will even go to Logan, Ogden, St.George, and Manti.
I am really excited for the semester and year. Wish me luck!